Court representation for business

In the unlikely event that your business requires legal representation in court, it’s crucial that you secure the highest quality of expert advice. You need to know exactly where you stand if facing criminal or civil proceedings in order to work out the best course of action.

Employment Tribunals

Employment tribunals deal with issues such as claims for unfair dismissal. This is when an employee believes that their former employer has unfairly terminated their employment contract or has been forced to resign.

Previously, the law required an employee to be working for at least one year’s continuous service before they could claim for unfair dismissal. However, from 6 April 2012, this ‘qualification period’ has been extended to two years.

Small claims court

Hearings at the small claims court are governed by Part 27 of the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) and further guidance is offered by a Practice Direction that offers a comprehensive outline on how all cases are conducted. It also states that any party in a small claims court can represent himself or be represented by a non-legally qualified individual or a lawyer.

While an individual is able to represent themselves legally, the courts can be an intimidating place where lawyers are at ease in their comfort zone, so it is worth considering legal representation in court if you are not confident in representing yourself.

Debt recovery

A legal expert is able to help advise you with claims relating to debt recovery – whether the claim is against your company as well as a debt owed to your business. If your business is owed a debt of £750 or more, it is possible to obtain a bankruptcy order against the debtor.

Whether your company is a small, medium or large business, it’s worth having your policies checked over by specialists on business legal services  and commercial law experts to ensure that you are legally compliant to avoid any scope for claims against your business.

Landlord & Tenant

While the terms of a lease should, and usually do, dictate the activities of landlords and their tenants, sometimes the parties can find themselves with no choice but to settle their dispute though the courts.

With such a technical field, it is vital to have representation from a solicitor with a property specialism and, if possible, further support from a chartered surveyor specialising in Landlord & Tenant issues.

You can find a list of your local law firms via the CAB and CLSD online and it may even be possible to find some firms who can offer legal representation at a claims hearing for a fixed fee instead of an hourly rate. Should you feel that you are not comfortable representing yourself in court then it may be worth researching and contacting several firms online.

Article Courtesy of Olivia Miles